I see BOS1901, BOS1901-KIT and BOS1901-KIT Controller on the download page. What should I look up first?
Date Added: 2019-06-21
Let’s distinguish each component:
BOS1901 is the product integrated chip. You should refer to the datasheet for information specific to this product.
BOS1901-KIT is the development kit. It is used to evaluate the technology and get familiar with piezoelectric actuators. Its firmware can be changed; you can even reprogram it yourself. The firmware source code is available on the website. You should refer to the BOS1901-KIT User Guide for information specific to this evaluation board.
BOS1901-KIT Controller is a Windows software Graphical User Interface (GUI) to ease customization of the BOS1901-KIT parameters. It allows to play wave files, change audio playback parameters, change the parameters of the sensing demonstration, and change the BOS1901 ICs internal registers when optimizing for a specific application.
How do I start?
Here are the recommended steps we suggest to get started with this technology:
- A. Get the BOS1901-KIT
- 1. In the BOS1901-KIT User Guide, read the Quick-Start guide at section 3 to get familiar with the kit components.
- 2. Follow instructions in the Quick-Start Procedure at section 3.3 to experience the sensing demonstration.
- 3. Then to play a waveform, download the waveforms provided on the website.
- 4. Read section 5.1 of the BOS1901-KIT User Guide to install Audacity® software.
- 5. Follow instructions in section 5.2 to load and play waveforms.
- B. Change BOS1901-KIT parameters to change its behavior
- This can be done either by modifying the firmware or through the GUI software. The latter is easier as a first step and will get you an understanding of the firmware internal parameters.
- 1. Download and install the BOS1901-KIT Controller software.
- 2. Launch the application and connect the BOS1901-KIT. Note: Windows has a tendency of automatically selecting any new audio device connected. If Windows as selected a Cypress speaker as its main audio output device, change it back to your usual speaker.
- 3. Select “Start a New Session”.
- 4. Go to the “Sensing Config” Tab.
- 5. Adjust parameters, then click “Send to Device”. See how various values affect the sensing detection and feedback when pressing the piezoelectric actuators.
- C. Get familiar with the BOS1901 register structure
- 1. Read the BOS1901 datasheet register map at section 6.4.
- 2. Install Cypress PSoC Creator software.
- 3. Open the BOS1901-KIT firmware project file.
- 4. Read the BOS1901-KIT firmware go get familiar with typical register write sequences.
- 5. In the BOS1901-KIT Controller, in the “Register Config” tab, you can load each BOS1901 IC register configuration. This will give you the register values once the BOS1901-KIT has been initialized and is running.
From there, you can start building your application firmware, continue exploring, or start optimizing the IC registers to fit your application.